Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Artemis

Default Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start -- What to Try Next?

Stubby wrote:
"Alan Whitehouse" wrote in message

Hi,

I have a MTD (Yard Man) Riding Lawn Mower.

It won't start.

Last year I put it to bed for the winter and started it twice
during that time. The last time I backfired loudly as I turned it
off but thought nothing else of it.

I left it on the battery charger all winter doing a trickle charge.

It won't start.

The engine cranks and cranks but I can't get it to start.

I have checked the battery it is good.

I have a spark from the spark plug.

The fuel is flowing and I had stabalizer in it over the winter.

It just won't turn over. I have also tried starter fluid in the
carburator.

Other suggestions?

If not, anyone know anyone in the Markham/Stouffville (outside of
Toronto, Ontario) who does small engine repair on-site? I don't
have the means to take the tractor anywhere right now.

Thanks.

Alan

My GUESS is you have a burned valve. A compression will be low. The
shop can remove the head, grind the valve seat(s), replace the valve,
oil seals and springs and the head gasket. With the right equipment,
it's only a half hour for them, but it is beyond the scope of a home
repair.

Just curious here, what makes you think he has a burnt valve?

--
Art