Old 04-05-2006, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore

Default Ants !

On Tue, 2 May 2006 18:41:00 +0100, "adm" wrote:

Dear All,

I have several ant nests in my lawn - they kick up a lot of very fine earth
and make the lawn lumpy. Is there anything that can be done to get rid of
them ?

On GQT Bob Flwoerdew once advised something similar to the following
to get rid of ants in a lawn.
I have not tried it, so cannot vouch for its efficacy!

Water the lawn; ants don't like wet. Over the area put several clean,
upturned, empty tins (eg baked bean tins, or larger) . The ants will
take their grubs, which they are guarding, up into the tins where it
is drier.
In the morning empty the tins and replace them on the lawn. If you
have fish in a pond, or hens, give the ant larvae to them or put them
on the bird table.
I gathered you may need to do it several times, then the ants get fed
up and move elsewhere!

Pam in Bristol