Old 04-05-2006, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
Bob Hobden

Default Water pump question

"Amos E Wolfe" wrote ...
I have a small allotment where the only source of water is the adjacent
river. Nearest tap water supply is about ¼ mile away. I have a couple of
45-gallon (205-litre) drums which I can fill from the river and then fill
watering cans from these.

I have seen solar powered pumps for use in ponds and I was wondering if
there was a suitable product on the market that might fit my requirements.
It doesn't have to be that powerful as it can fill up gradually while I am
working. It does however need to raise the water from the river by about
6-10 feet (head of water) depending on the level of the water in the
river.

Alternatively a battery powered pump could be used with one of those
trickle-charge solar panels usually used for car batteries.

Failing this (easier and cheaper) a hand powered pump? It does need to be
able to manage to lift the water up high enough so perhaps one with a
non-return valve? I tried a barrel pump but it couldn't manage more than
about 4 feet!

One of our allotment chaps pumps water from the River Bourn that runs
alongside our allotment site with a diesel pump. He does have an extraction
agreement with the local water authority up to a certain (absurdly large)
figure and their only stipulation is that he uses trickle irrigation and not
the large farmer type sprayers he used to use. The site is served by mains
water too.
With the right pump you could simply water your plot and don't need to do
what you intend with barrels and watering cans.
Have a look on ebay for a second hand diesel/petrol pump after you price out
the alternative.
Solar panels and controllers are not cheap and I don't think a simple solar
powered pond pump would be man enough for the job.
This may be interesting ..
http://www.gocaravanning.com/shoppin...ater-pumps.htm
--
Regards