Old 05-05-2006, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Default Snails galore

Scot McCall wrote:
On Wed, 03 May 2006 14:48:51 -0230, cloud dreamer
wrote:

Scot McCall wrote:

What are this year's solutions to the snail problem?

I don't have a problem with snails but rather slugs. So, I built raised
beds made from rough 4x4s - the slugs won't crawl over them because the
rough lumber tears up their soft bellies and they can't get under them.
Once I removed those that were trapped inside, I didn't have a problem.

Mulch is also a great barrier for them. I was having a problem with the
slugs munching on my flowers, but once I put the mulch down, the flowers
thrived. I just use regular pine bark mulch.

And, of course, there's DE, but that washes away. The mulch was a much
better long term solution.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.

The rough surfaces idea opens up some solutions. TKS.

I just noticed that Lee Valley carries copper meshing 5 inches wide and
a hundred feet long for $30 CDN. Slugs and snails won't cross copper, so
if the area is manageable, you can surround it with the copper.

..