Old 05-05-2006, 11:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jonny

Default Preparing weeded area for turf.

"weed" is a very generic term.

A few weeks ago a hired landscaper for a local dollar type store sprayed
roundup on the general grounds and parking lot perimeter. It has/had all
kinds of "weeds". It killed the Johnson grass commonly called a "weed", but
none of the other "weeds".

You should not have to use a herbicide more than once. If it don't work the
first time, its not going to work.

If the ground is reasonably not rocky but fertile, just rent a rototiller.
Till up the first 3" or 4" of ground and let the sun and air kill the
foliage. Then rake out the foliage with a bow rake. Throw some sod on top
of the prepped soil. Keep it well watered every few days, not everyday,
don't drown it.
--
Jonny
"richthesparky" wrote in message

Hello

I have an area of garden that I wish to turf and would be grateful for
some help with how to prepare it.
The area is approx 30' x 30' and has lots of weeds.I keep digging them
up and have put weedkiller on them many times (with little effect),then
i dont get the time to complete the job and the weeds come back.

Can i dig out most of the weeds and turf straight over ? someone
suggested putting black polythene over,waiting for the weeds to die and
then turfing ?
Will the weeds grow thru the turf or will the turf prevent this
happening ?
Can i rotavate the blighters over ?

I really know nothing about gardening (see my username for my
speciality) and my back wont stand much more weeding.The end result
just needs to be grass not an immaculate 'lawn'.

Here is a picture link to give you an idea.
http://tinyurl.com/lrx2o

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Regards

Rich.

--
richthesparky