Old 05-05-2006, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

Default New to Composting

PieOPah wrote:
I am putting in mainly kitchen waste - like veggie peelings and a little
garden waste. I would say 90% kitchen stuff and 10% garden waste (grass
cuttings, weeds etc)

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
PieOPah wrote:
Hello

I'm new to this newsgroup and I am a novice gardener - I am ok at hard
landscaping but know little about plants.

One of my New Years resolutions this year is to recycle more so I bought
a compost bin from the council. It's doing quite well and nearly half
full. but I have a couple of questions

1 - it appears that ants have made a home in my compost bin. Does this
matter or should I try and get rid of them?

It indicates that your bin is too dry: pee in a bucket, fill it up with
water and apply
2 - It smells and with summer coming I'm sure it will get worse - what
can I do to reduce the rotting odour?

Tell us what you are putting in and in what proportions and we may be able
to offer some advice.

Add some shredded newspaper, cardboard or eggboxes sounds like you have
to much green stuff.

Paul