Old 05-05-2006, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk

Default Water pump question

Amos E Wolfe wrote:
I have a small allotment where the only source of water is the adjacent
river. Nearest tap water supply is about ¼ mile away. I have a couple of
45-gallon (205-litre) drums which I can fill from the river and then fill
watering cans from these.

I have seen solar powered pumps for use in ponds and I was wondering if
there was a suitable product on the market that might fit my requirements.

The immersible one from Bull electrical might but it would stand no
chance on solar power (a decent panel and controller would be hugely
expensive).

Item AC8 on http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/test/solar.htm

You need to power it from a rechargable lead acid battery (they sell
them too or try Maplins). It isn't cost effective to use solar power
for this. I tried once...

17ft head of water at zero flow rate or 7 L/minute at zero height needs
12v 1.5A. I use one to pressurise my irrigation system from a water
butt.

Mine has stood the test of time but I don't have to lift much height.

It doesn't have to be that powerful as it can fill up gradually while I am
working. It does however need to raise the water from the river by about
6-10 feet (head of water) depending on the level of the water in the river.

Alternatively a battery powered pump could be used with one of those
trickle-charge solar panels usually used for car batteries.

Cost of the solar panels will outweight any advantage. Easier and
cheaper to have a 12v 6Ah lead acid battery that you take home to
recharge every 4 hours of pump use.

My irrigation system uses an 18Ah battery and lasts a couple of months
between recharging. I don't have to carry it very far (fortunately).

Regards,
Martin Brown