Old 05-05-2006, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting tom seeds direct into ground?

Last year I didn't start to plant my seeds until, I think, July (yes,
I'm a novice). I was advised to give up in October but in fact got
some red tomatoes through October and then made green tomato chutney,
and composted the plants, in November. We live in Lancashire, near the
sea, so hardly ever get early or late frosts, rather like Ireland I'd
imagine?

I was thinking of trying some of the Siberian varieties, which need
very few weeks to cropping, some time. Has anyone tried them?

(and yes, I learned my lesson and have started earlier this year).