Old 05-05-2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
openspaces

Default Seek Suggestions for Privacy Tree

Cedars don't look like pines - much. Maybe a Chinese (Lacebark) Elm? I
love mine so far.

Carl

Actually, I am considering a Chinese Elm. I saw one in a local park. It
had a nameplate in front of it identifying it as a Chinese elm. The
branches drooped down near the bottom just enough to block the view at
eye level and a few feet below eye level, and the hieght and width of
the Elm were good. About 20 feet high.

I noticed most of the other trees in the park had branches that started
too high up on the trunk, about 6 or 7 feet high, which left 6 or 7
feet of open space to look at the eyesore.

The small trees had branches that were lower.

The soil here is fairly clayish beneath the surface.

The area I want to plant will have exposure to sun all day except the
first 2 or 3 hours of the morning.

As a tree grows, do the braches move up as the trunk grows up from the
soil ??? Or does a tree grow from the top only ?

Thanks for the help, everyone.

..