Old 05-05-2006, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Good plants for a shady area

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

I'm a newbie here but have been lurking for a few weeks....I'm in the
process of replanting part of my garden - it was ravaged by the dog over
the winter and most of the the plants have been destroyed (along with the
lawn). The dog has now been evicted from this part of the garden.

The problem that I have is that there are a lot of shaded areas and trees
in the garden and I'm trying to come up with some ideas for planting other
than Hostas...

I'm in the SE of England. The garden is West facing...

TIA
Gill

Here's a nice one:
http://tinyurl.com/k2z2x

Or, paste the long link back together:

http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp....y=0&go=submit

Never mind the vendor - they're expensive. You should have no problem
finding this plant in England. There's a white-flowered variety, too. The
leaves really stand out in the shade. Nice plant, spreads at a moderate
pace, but it's easy to control. I've got it in zone 5, upstate NY, and it
laughs at snow & ice.