Old 05-05-2006, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

Default Weedy problem

"lemmy" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife is growing some onions but we're having a recurring weed
problem. There's a pic at
http://www.dthorpe.net/viewing/weeds.htm
We've dug over ther weeds several times but still this happens. I'd
prefer not to use weed killer because of the proximity of the
onions...what did I do wrong and is there an answer?

You didn't do anything wrong. You've got weeds, like we all have.I think
there's ground elder, amongst other things. There isn't a permanent fix, you
will always have weeds, just as you will always have slugs and snails. You
can minimise it, but it's a lot of work. Hoe around the onions, but be
careful not to damage the bulbs. When the crop is lifted, remove as much of
the weeds root material as you can, but don't get paranoid about it.

Steve