Old 06-05-2006, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Default When to plant tomatoes.

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Bette" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am new and just joined your nice group. I was told not to plant
tomatoes until the last full moon in May. We would love to have a
vegetable garden and wonder where and when to start.

Where do you live?

Doug and Warren:
My hubby and I recently moved to Pa from New Jersey. We lived in a
55+ retirement community for eight years. The people were wonderful,
but we could not have our own garden, clothes line or some of the
things we had in our other house.

My dad always had a large vegetable garden in their back yard in
Massachusetts. But am not sure when he started planting.
I can recall wonderfully full tomatoes, zuccinni, rows of string
beens, beats, potatoes, and some corn. Seems like we also had winter
squash.
I have some wonderful memories of dad and mom weeding. Each evening
they would water down the garden and he would use some kind of
chemicals for the bugs.

At the end of the season, my folks spent days canning tomatoes and my
mother had this wonderful recipe for tomato Chutney.

Thanks for responding. Finally the unpacking is at an end and we're
looking forward to a small garden. Our neighbor suggested chicken
fencing around to keep out the critters.
Bette