Old 05-05-2006, 11:11 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens

Default Nitrogen-fixing bacteria

simy1 wrote:
I disagree. My experience is that compost and/or manure have those
bacteria, and that they will persist in the soil after one crop. You
will not need N-fertilization in that case. Of course, my experience is
limited to peas and various beans.

I'm wondering whether the compost and manure that "inoculate" your
beans and peas have the right bacteria because they come from areas
where beans and peas are grown, and whether I could get any that would
have the right bacteria for my desert plants.

Also, if you have clover in your lawn, or vetch by the roadside, they
may be around.

Lawn? Is that something people have in other parts of the world?

I do have sweet clover and alfalfa growing wild in my garden, and I
encourage them because I need all the nitrogen and all the plants with
flowers I can get, but according to
http://www.fao.org/Wairdocs/ILRI/x5546E/x5546e05.htm there's a
particular species of bacteria (Rhizobium meliloti) that's symbiotic
with those plants. I suspect that it won't be symbiotic with the other
plants I mentioned (Caesalpinia, Calliandra, Dalea). Can anyone tell
me for sure?

--
Jerry Friedman