Old 06-05-2006, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default SOIL POISONING by BEECH TREES

In article ,
Dave Roberts writes:

| Is there a Forester or Tree Person out there who has expert knowledge
| of this subject? I have been told that the leaves from a Beech tree
| will poison the ground beneath so that no other species of plant will
| grow. Is there scientific proof of this?

Don't be so gullible! Not merely is it complete twaddle, that is
trivially checked by observation.

| Another source suggests that this is a fallacy and that the situation
| is caused by the heavy leaf litter which piles up, being slow to
| decompose, and allowing no new growth to get through.

Even that is wrong. Beech leaves are not slow to decompose.

| Having just moved into a suburban garden with several massive Fagus
| Sylvatica I desperately need to know.

The lack of growth underneath is caused by the lack of light and water
in the summer, as with most other trees. Most of the winter-growing,
deep woodland plants (bluebells and many others) will grow though. No
plant that needs to grow in summer will.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.