Old 06-05-2006, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default SOIL POISONING by BEECH TREES

Dave Roberts writes

Hi!
Is there a Forester or Tree Person out there who has expert knowledge
of this subject? I have been told that the leaves from a Beech tree
will poison the ground beneath so that no other species of plant will
grow. Is there scientific proof of this?
Another source suggests that this is a fallacy and that the situation
is caused
by the heavy leaf litter which piles up, being slow to decompose, and
allowing no new growth to get through.
Having just moved into a suburban garden with several massive Fagus
Sylvatica I desperately need to know.

With any large tree, the uptake of water by the tree and the shade
effect is enough to prevent growth underneath without recourse to poison
theories. Bluebells will grow in beech woodland. Either they are taking
advantage of higher water levels in spring coupled with more light
because the trees are not in leaf, or they have the ability to breakdown
the poison produced by the leaves.

I'm not aware of any warnings to omit beech leaves from leaf mould,
which would be necessary if they were poisonous.

I have recently been told the same 'poisoning the ground' theory about
horse chestnuts.
--
Kay