Old 06-05-2006, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default SOIL POISONING by BEECH TREES

In article ,
Malcolm writes:

| I've not heard of beech leaves poisoning the ground. They do indeed
| build up a heavy leaf litter, which as it decomposes makes a fine source
| of mulch for the borders. More important, or so I have always
| understood, is that the canopy of a beech tree is much denser than most
| other species and so, in a beech wood, insufficient light reaches the
| ground beneath to encourage much plant growth. This should be less of a
| problem with well spaced trees.

I don't think that it is because it is denser, as such, as it is lighter
than oak, elm etc. - beech leaves are very translucent. But beeches
tend to form a solid canopy, whereas oaks, elms, etc. tend to lose whole
branches and have gaps. When a beech tree starts dropping branches, it
is not long before it dies completely - they have very little resistance
to fungal decay, once it starts - VERY unlike oaks.

I agree with you about your remark about freestanding beeches - there
are LOTS in the south, and most have even grass growing well fairly
close to the trunk (thinly, true).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.