Old 06-05-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

Default quince (cydonia) - edible?

I was not aware of the differences. I've had real quince(non-ornamental in
pies) as a child, and in later life we we used the fruit from a deep
crimson cydonia in Chester. I have tasted the fruit from what seems to be
Chaenomeles which seems to be about the same.
Memory can play tricks, the but real quince seemed to be less astringent and
acid when raw.
Regards
David T
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"H Ryder" writes:

| But the answer to "Is it edible" is the same :-)
|
| is this true of all Chaenomeles (in partucular speciosa) - I can only
find
| information about superba.

Yes.

Regards,