Old 06-05-2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

Default Good plants for a shady area

In article ,
Jenny wrote:

Gill Passman wrote:
I've always considered Busy Lizzies to be full sun plants - how much
success do you have with them in the shade compared to full sunlight?
Sounds like an interesting idea for this summer

The single impatiens (American for "busy lizzie") does beautifully in
the shade, but the double ones that look like little roses need much
more sun.

I've grown them profusely on a shaded north foundation in extremely poor
soil and on a rock bank with almost no soil and only a bit of wood mulch
where they actually reseeded themselves and came roaring back the next
year.

I have quite a lot of shade in my garden and last year I planted
"non-stop begonias" which were spectacular from May to frost. I dug them
up and kept them in the basement after frost, and planted them in pots
this spring and 4 out of 5 are growing beautifully. The flowers are
huge, long-lasting and vibrantly colored. They are expensive but they
are worth every penny.

--Jenny

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes Diabetes Info

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/newlydiagnosed.htm Get Your Blood
Sugar Under Control

We let these guys ( double impatiens) live out side as long as
possible then rip them ( Propagate) and start new ones over winter in
house. Sometimes we lose a few sometimes we nurture a few.

Neglect in a large pot with my bamboo begonias seems to work well.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade