Old 06-05-2006, 08:15 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default Get rid of St. Augustine

On Sat, 6 May 2006 10:17:04 -0500, wrote:

The S.A has started encroaching on my
lawn and would like to kill the S. A on
my side of the lawn without harming the
fescue....

SA is very aggressive. It will be a long battle to keep it on 'his'
side of the area. Left alone it will take over your side. A barrier or
ditch may work, but you're still in for a long fight and lot's of sweat.
Years ago my neighbor plugged some SA in his yard. Three short years
later it covered his area and three years after that, it had taken over
my yard too. I didn't mind though since my yard was originally common
burmuda. I also used some 6" SA plugs along the foundation at the rear
of my home. Four years later my backyard was SA.

Dave S(Texas)

SA is not aggressive at all. It spreads by runners which are
extremely easy to remove. Every bed on my property is built the way I
instructed. Dig a trench, use dry stack and keep up on it when you
weed wack.