Old 06-05-2006, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default wild life

shazzbat writes

"Someone" wrote in message
Could anyone tell me how i could attract wild life into my garden? All i
have is 3 blank lawns, with a few plants, no shrubs or anything. What
could
i do, at low cost?

A pond. All life needs water. You get water, it attracts wildlife.

Remember 'wildlife' means the whole lot, vertebrate and invertebrate. If
you want birds, you need the bugs for them to feed on. Don't use
insecticides.

Don't be too tidy. And leave seedheads for seed eating birds to feed on.

At low cost - try to simulate a woodland edge - grass, shrubs, perhaps a
small tree or two. Grow a lot of native species - they'll be host to a
wider range of insects for the rest of your wildlife to live on. Buy one
of Michael Chinery's books on wildlife in the garden so you start to
recognise the things that you see around - birds, butterflies are
obvious and showy, but there's a lot of enjoyment in watching the less
obvious inhabitants.

--
Kay