Old 06-05-2006, 10:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Dog doodoo as lawn fertilizer?

willshak wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message
I would even think it is, but this is not a troll message.

I have an adult female Golden Retriever that does her business in our
back yard. I usually go out and clear the minefield once or twice a
week, just before mowing, so the dog s**t may stay on the lawn for a
few
days.
The s**t, if left there, burns the lawn for about an inch all around
the
s**t, but after removal, the grass around the burnt area grows more
rapidly and is a darker green than the rest of the lawn. The areas look
like volcanic craters. The Golden eats only dry dog food.
So it seems that too much dog s**t is bad, but a little is good. Has
anyone ever tried to use a dog s**t formula as a lawn fertilizer?

Just about any kind of animal poop can be used . You just have to
adjust
the ammount depending on the animal it comes from.

True in general but horse manure needs to be mixed with hay or wood
chips and left to rot for a year. Chicken manure is even more "hot"
and needs to age for say, 2 years.

You might return some of your visitor's presents to their owner's
front porch. Or turn on a lawn sprinkler when the visitor appears.

I don't want my dogs presents on my front porch. That's why we let her
out in the rear yard. :-)

--

Sure, it would work. The only obvious problems are how to collect it
and distribute it evenly, which would require grinding it up. Then

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
To Email, remove the double zeroes after 'at'