Old 06-05-2006, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Default Stuffing our environment

K wrote:
Janet Baraclough writes

I don't dispute it worked, only (Sue's claim) that UK supermarkets
will take no action unless forced: they already do take action.

They haven't taken the critical action of withdrawing the free plastic
bags.

It's not a supermarket, but I'd like to draw attention to B&Q, which
withdrew free plastic bags over a year ago – mainly as a cost saving but
also for the environmental benefits. I've noted on recent visits that
the lack of bags doesn't appear to bother people. I was also in
Homebase today and they didn't offer me a bag (for my one small item)
either.

Rhiannon