Old 07-05-2006, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Explain aphid control paragraph for me please?

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
This is from the Crocus web site, on aphid control. I've read
this a number of times and I have finally concluded that I
*really* do not understand what it means. The first two sentences
are clear enough- it's when they go on to
nettles and "a colony" (of what?) that I get lost. And then
cutting back the nettles- why? Nothing of the last two sentences
seems to make sense. Maybe I'm just having a very dense day, or
possibly this is not explained as well as it might be. Please-

could anyone explain the last part to me?

Nettles act as host to aphids in the Spring before other any
other plants, and when there is little other food around for
ladybirds. Without a steady supply of food throughout both
Spring and Summer ladybird numbers will be reduced. By Summer
when other aphid hosts are in full growth the netteles
can be cut back to encourage the ladybirds to move on to
those.

michael adams

Treatment

Organic - the best thing to do is encourage the predators of aphids, such

as
ladybirds, lacewings and hoverflies, into your garden. This can be done by
planting nectar-rich flowering plants which attract them, such as

buddleia,
calendula, sedum, stocks, sweet William and wallflowers. [That's clear
enough, but from here on I'm lost...] Get a head start on the aphids by
growing a patch of nettles with a small colony to help build up natural
predators in your garden. Cut back the nettles when aphids appear in other
parts of your garden to encourage the predators to seek them out.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)