Old 07-05-2006, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph

Default Woodchuck defenses

On Sat, 06 May 2006 17:54:12 -0500, Kate wrote:

"Butzmark" wrote
: Groundhogs love my tomatoes. They wait untill they are just ripe and
: take the best ones. If they can't reach, no problem. just tear down the
: whole vine. They love all cabbage plants and carrot tops as well. I only
: have problems with coons if I raise corn
:
: A good groundhog is a dead groundhog.

We are in West Tennessee and this is our third gardening season here.
Until this year we have not seen groundhogs on our place. But so far this
year we have spotted two.
One has already been - ehmmm - removed - the other got lucky, So far.

Something that we found mildly funny the first year as far as tomatoes was
that the ones that were low to the ground had little bites out of them. We
found out it was the turtles that were nibbling on them. Funny in one way,
not funny in another.

This is our first year to plant any corn at all and I'm hoping that my
cats keep most of the wild beasts away from the garden. Rabbits for sure
will be kept busy if they try to invade, but the groundhogs frighten my
little hunter cat.

Kate

A woodchuck is bigger than a cat so I don't see how a cat is going to
help. My cat did a good job of protecting my blueberries from birds
last year but he has the good sense not to go near the woodchuck.

For corn the big problem is raccoons which carry rabies so you don't want
to trap them and you certainly don't want your pets near them.