Old 07-05-2006, 10:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default Ivy prolific growth problem

godwin wrote:
G'day Ruth, the trouble with poisoning it is that it's going to be
unsightly for a long time. I'd think the best bet is to get a young lad
in to clean it up, but if you think that's going to be too expensive
you'll have to find the main stem or stems where it comes out the
ground, cut away the outside bark wrap an old piece of towel or other
absorbent cloth around it and soak it with a strong solution of Roundup
or similar poison. he blokes down at the hardware will tell you the best
valur chemical for the job, but that's the best way of applying it.

If the weather is warm put some glad wrap over the cloth to keep it
from drying out to quickly.

Ivy the term poison ivy comes t omind. Be very carefull as most ivy I
have had to do with can create allergic reactions some time down the
line. Rubbish? No its isnt. Appararently the stuff creates a problem
later and is very alregeneic...See here...
http://www.healthfirst.net.au/content/view/78/42/

First hand contact by me in a limited way to try and remove the stuff
was not very nice.... :-(