Old 07-05-2006, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

Default Privet Question

"louisxiv" wrote in message
I have a privet hedge in my garden which has been allowed by previous owner
to grow wild. It's leggy and woody (about 2" diameter in places) with no
leaves up to about 7 feet and then has unchecked leaf growth. It's
basically behaving like a group of trees.

What should I do with it? If I were to cut it back would it grow in again?
And if so, how close to the ground should I cut it? Or would I be better
getting shot of it and building a fence and if so what do I need to do?

I'd appreciate any suggestions and help. it's a mess as it is. Thanks in
advance.

xiv

Thanks guys. 2" it is!