Old 07-05-2006, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
nicandal

Default rainwater butts again

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

Hello all.
I'm planning to fit a water butt, but my downpipes are inconveniently
placed. Can I tap directly into a gutter (i.e. create my own small
downpipe just for the butt, with no overflow or soakaway). ?

I'm thinking that when the butt and its small downpipe is full the
water will just run past straight to the proper downpipe.

Al

The only way of the butt and the small downpipe becoming full is if the butt
end of the system is totally sealed. If it is sealed then the amount of
water managing to get into it will be small.
Much better to have an on/off tap in your small downpipe.

I knew it was worth asking, I forgot that having a top fill instead of
a side fill would mean I always have a head of water above the butt.
The butt will go beside my separate double garage but the downpipe is
at the wrong end, so we're talking maybe 15 feet at least away from the
best site for the butt. Still thinking.