Old 07-05-2006, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Default Stuffing our environment

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 06 May 2006 21:42:02 +0100, Rhiannon Macfie Miller
wrote:

It's not a supermarket, but I'd like to draw attention to B&Q, which
withdrew free plastic bags over a year ago – mainly as a cost saving but
also for the environmental benefits. I've noted on recent visits that
the lack of bags doesn't appear to bother people. I was also in
Homebase today and they didn't offer me a bag (for my one small item)
either.

Which is all jolly lovely if you happen to have turned up in your car
and you can push your purchases on a trolley to load up. Not providing
bags other than those of thimble size is hopeless for people who may be
walking, cycling or taking public transport (the more environmentally
friendly forms of transport) who need something convenient to carry
their purchases home in.

As one who has done quite a bit of shopping by bike in the past, I can
say that plastic bags are not the easiest of carriers to use on a bike.
Most people who cycle regularly will have a rucksack or panniers.

(Actually, my local B&Q has put up a wire bin by the door which is full
of bags from other shops, presumably brought there by customers. It's
good because there is a dearth of facilities to recycle placcies around
here.)

Rhiannon