Old 07-05-2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
tenacity

Default Arizona veggie gardener/advice welcome

Thanks for the great advice. I didn't know about the co-ops, I'm
getting into serious gardening for the first time. I've lways piddled
about with flowers, but I'm thinking bigger now

I mulched most of my plants with grass clippings and the rest with
shredded newspaper, and it has made a tremendous difference. The soil
stays cool, the water lasts longer, and the plants look better. When my
compost cooks down, I'll have more, but that won't be until fall for
now, the newspaper is doing the trick. Finally, a good use for all that
damn junk mail!

I had considered just laying down newspaper, but I'm worried about mold
or fungi growing under there. Have you had any problems with that?