Old 07-05-2006, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me here

Default Laying a New Lawn - Not sure About.....

"Dewdrop" wrote in message
news

Hi All,

This is my first posting - so I'd just like to say hello to everyone.

I spent last summer re-landscaping my garden and I'm now on the home
stretch, which is laying a lawn. The garden isn't huge so the lawn will
be small but hopefully perfectly formed!

I have two questions, which are-

1. I've read that it's advisable to put a slow release fertilizer under
the turf but when I checked them out in a local garden center today they
were all weed killers as well. Which I'm guessing is not what I want.
Could anyone advise me what it is I need to buy?

A granular fertiliser designed for lawns sparingly applied on/in the sub
base to the lawn (Base Shapr Sand/Loam mix 50-50) will help.
Fertiliser such as
http://www.gardendirect.co.uk/produc...For=&PT_ID=343

2. The lawn will be more or less circular, measuring (approx) 20 feet
across, how do I calculate how much turf I need to buy?

Turf comes is different sizes. Rolls and Short turfs (Garden centre style).

You can estimate the size if using Garden centre general sizes of 18" wide
by 72" long.
If it was 20ft square you would need around 39 turf. So I would guess at 35
turf to be covering your 20ft circle approx