Old 08-05-2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.ponds
tenacity

Default small pond - advice

The sun will create alot of algae - but you'll get that anyway, just
not as much perhaps. Some shade is a good place to start, and a good
filter on your pump. I suggest not putting fish in for a while - as
long as you can wait. Let the algae bloom, let the water sit, the pump
pump it about, put some rocks in to get a good bacteria load, maybey
buy some of the bacteria to put in, so the pond will have a head start.
Test the chemicals and make sure your water is clean and healthy, put
your pond plants in, and then put the fish in. I know it sounds like
forever, but a good pond is 90% good water. The fish are icing.

Remember that proportionally, changes will occur faster for you. In my
750 gal, a change will happen fairly slowly, and my organisms will have
time to react and adapt. But in 60 gal., temperature and chemistry will
chnage fast.

I suggest a very low number of fish at first. If you follow the 1:10
(one fish per 10 gal) proportion, you've only got room for six fish,
and not huge ones.

A small pond can be absolutely charming. I hope it works out great for
you.