Old 07-05-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris S

Default when to earth up potatoes

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have some 'Rocket' potatoes growing in a large tub. The shoots are
showing over the top of the compost now . When should I earth them up
and by how much should I earth them up ?

When I grow my potatoes in pots, I cover them with 4" of compost, when the
leaves show through, and then again when the leaves show again. I usually
cover the green shoots about 4 times as they grow. In other words, cover
them with 4" compost every time they appear until the pot can hold no more
compost. I also mix shredded comfrey leaves in with the mix - comfrey good
for spuds :-)
Keep them well watered as they grow.

Chris S