Old 08-05-2006, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny

Default No Rain = Crabgrass Out of Control

We had no snow cover this winter and a warm, dry spring. As a result my
10,000 sq ft of lawn, which was crabgrass-free last year at this time is
literally covered with the stuff--despite our putting down preventer
right a week before the forsythia bloomed.

I'm not talking a clump here and there, but large tracts of the stuff,
and this is despite having thick grass which grows up around it. I
already mow to 3" when the lawn is 4".

The man at the locally owned nursery said this is because crabgrass had
perfect conditions before the grass greened up this year.

Is the lawn a goner? Is there anything I can do to minimize the damage?
This stuff has already set seeds and there's just too much to hand weed.
Nuking it would leave large bare spots all over the lawn.

I've put so much effort into reclaiming what had been a crabgrass/hay
field and turning it into a lovely lawn that it's really a bummer to see
it deteriorate.

--Jenny