Old 08-05-2006, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default No Rain = Crabgrass Out of Control

Jenny wrote:
We had no snow cover this winter and a warm, dry spring. As a result my
10,000 sq ft of lawn, which was crabgrass-free last year at this time is
literally covered with the stuff--despite our putting down preventer
right a week before the forsythia bloomed.

I'm not talking a clump here and there, but large tracts of the stuff,
and this is despite having thick grass which grows up around it. I
already mow to 3" when the lawn is 4".

Is it confirmed crabgrass, or could it be quackgrass?? In my area (SW
Chicago area) quackgrass is common on treated lawns as the services
*claim* there's no way to treat it withought killing off other
grasses.

http://www.bachmans.com/tipsheets/la...Quackgrass.cfm