Old 08-05-2006, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default Alternative to dubbin for waterproofing boots? [OT]

The message
from Peter Clinch contains these words:

Though as with dubbin, you can still get wet feet in a pair of
treated boots unless you use an incredibly thick coat, in which case the
leather won't breathe and you've lost a lot of the point in using
leather. At this point invest in some decent wellies...

Sorry, just don't agree. Modern boot technology has moved on a lot
and you don't need to spend a fortune on boots to have completely dry
feet all day long in any weather. My current, Puratex-lined leather
boots are 3 yrs old, get a lot of hard wear and are still completely
rain, puddle and sweatproof. I can walk or work in them all day in
complete comfort...dry feet at the end of it. I dubbin them with Gelert
dubbin (12 hours in a warm spot, then wipe off any visible surplus left)
about once a month, stitching still perfect. In between dubbinings, they
occasionally get a brushing to remove mud and salts. They cost £45 quid
in a builder/hardware merchants. Outdoor sports shops charge two or
three times as much for very inferior boots (they leak, the leather
tears on rock shards, stitching and lace-grips fail, etc).

Wearing wellies all day long will invariably end up with sweat-soggy
socks even in dry weather, and much tireder feet.

Janet.