Old 08-05-2006, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Planting tom seeds direct into ground?

wrote:
Salsify? Which kind? Tragopogon? I have bought what was described as
Salsify from vegetable markets here but I think it was Scorzonera
(black salsify).

I suspect from your description that it is scorzonera we are talking
about. I steam it, then saute it in butter, and serve with just salt
and lots of black pepper. I adore the subtle flavour - and of course,
I get it all to myself, seen as I am surrounded by very conservative
eaters :-(

The latter produce long (up to 1 metre long) thin black roots with
black skin.
I used to get it as "Schwarzwurzel" (= black root) in Germany. I deep
fry it in breadcrumbs.

I suspect that's mine. It is known as salsifi in French, hence that's
the translation I adopted.

Tragopogon has roots like Parsnips I think and nice blue or mauve
flowers?
How do you cook it? I have never tasted it.

I haven't seen or tasted those either.

Cat(h)