Old 08-05-2006, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default please help ID this plant

"Dawn" wrote in message
I'm in Missouri, zone 5, and this grass-like growth came up next to my
gladiolas this spring. At least, I thought it was grass until I went to
remove it, then I discovered lots of tiny little 'bulbs'. What is this
stuff? Are they baby glads? It's not growing around any of the others.

www.reddawn.net/temp/growth.jpg

Dawn

Dawn! Congratulations - break out the cigars. You are the proud parent of
lots of baby glads. They sometimes survive the winter. Not only is this a
sign of good luck, but it's also a clue to the location of a mini-climate in
your yard where you might get away with planting other things that
theoretically aren't supposed to survive the winter. Were these near the
house foundation or big stones?