Old 08-05-2006, 07:41 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Philip Wright

Default African hot pepper question

The peppers used to make pili pili (or often piri piri)
are called birds-eye peppers. There is a lot of info on
them on the web (including seeds). Here is a good starter
page: http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/profile_birdseye.html

-Philip

riverman wrote:
I lived in the Democratic Republic of Congo for awhile, and the locals made
a version of an african hot sauce called 'pili pili'. It was a universally
common condiment. The particular peppers they used looked like red
habaneros, but had a very different taste, although they were very very hot.
I'm pretty sure its not a capsicum chinense, as the taste and heat is not
right.

Does anyone know what type of hot peppers are indigenous to the DRC, and if
they grow anywhere else? I have searched online for them, and most sites
only talk about making pilipili sauce using 'hot peppers'. I can't seem to
find any more specifics.

Thanks gustatorialy:

M Buck