Old 08-05-2006, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible
Jasbird

Default Which vegetables tolerate clay soil best?

Hello,

I have an allotment with clay soil. What vegetables can I reasonably
grow in it what which vege should I not even try?

So far I have onions, parsnips, beetroot, raspberries and strawberries!
The beetroot did well last year (the parsnips not so well) but I didn't
give my gardening serious effort. I shall work harder this year, but
don't want to waste my time trying hopeless cases.

For instance:

Can I grow sweetcorn, tomatoes, spinach (beet), leek, lettuce in the
clay soil?

I also have pumkin, melon, courgette, squash, beans, turnips - but will
probably grow them in my back garder which has rich loam in it.