Old 08-05-2006, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible
Bob Hobden

Default Which vegetables tolerate clay soil best?

"Jasbird" wrote
I have an allotment with clay soil. What vegetables can I reasonably
grow in it what which vege should I not even try?

So far I have onions, parsnips, beetroot, raspberries and strawberries!
The beetroot did well last year (the parsnips not so well) but I didn't
give my gardening serious effort. I shall work harder this year, but
don't want to waste my time trying hopeless cases.

For instance:

Can I grow sweetcorn, tomatoes, spinach (beet), leek, lettuce in the
clay soil?

I also have pumkin, melon, courgette, squash, beans, turnips - but will
probably grow them in my back garder which has rich loam in it.

You can grow all of those in clay soil, our old allotment had clay soil such
that sometimes I had to cut chunks of soil up to bank our spuds rather like
making a dry stone wall, even after 10 years of cultivation..
Clay soil is a rich soil as it does not allow nutrients to be leached out
like a sandy loam does. Most veg plants love it, it's the gardeners that
don't because it's hard work.
Our cucurbits always grew very well and I used to just dig a bucket sized
hole, fill it with well rotted compost and plant the plant in the middle of
that, never any problems.
Check the pH though, some clay can be acid and Lime helps break it up
anyway.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden