Old 08-05-2006, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shrub Confusion

louisxiv wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

louisxiv wrote:
Hi

I bought this shrub at a church fete and am struggling to identify it.

http://i3.tinypic.com/xg0f37.jpg

Can anyone help? Also, how will it grow, tall or bushy? Is it a good idea
plant it or will it take over my garden?!

thanks in advance for any help!

I think it's a Daphne. If it's Daphne odora aureomarginata it will
grow to about 4' or so and smell absolutely wonderful in winter.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...=Search+Images

If it's Daphne bholua - well, ours is about 15', I should guess and
again, the scent is outstanding. But at a guess, it's the former.
--

Hmm. maybe. Still doesn't seem right! Sorry to be an awkward 'customer'!

Hungarian fish maple.
It flowers in July and produces masses of small flowers that smell of
squid and attracts thousands of blue bottles. The sap is said to be an
irritant but probably not as much as the flies.