Old 08-05-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Tap Water Or Rainwater For Mini Plants ?

On Sat, 6 May 2006 20:06:06 +0100, "M" [email protected] wrote:

Received some mini plants (approx. 4cm tall) that I planted in compost to
grow on.

A relative says I should use a spray with tap water as water from a water
butt could have impurities etc.

I have the water from the garage roof filtered through netting and I assume
that from what she says this water would not be suitable..

Can I have your own advice on which is the best "overall" water to use ?
Thanks.

It probably won't make a lot of difference. In your position I would
use the water from the butt for preference. Your tap water may have a
high lime content (i.e. may be 'hard'), which the plants may not like
and which could result in a build-up of lime in the compost over time.
But if the intention is eventually to plant them out in your garden,
then they won't be in the pots long enough for it to make any
difference.

BTW, spraying the plants will not be enough to keep them going. You'll
need to water the compost when it begins to get dry, but don't overdo
it.

--
Chris