Old 08-05-2006, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shrub Confusion

louisxiv writes
Hi

I bought this shrub at a church fete and am struggling to identify it.

http://i3.tinypic.com/xg0f37.jpg

Can anyone help? Also, how will it grow, tall or bushy? Is it a good idea to
plant it or will it take over my garden?!

thanks in advance for any help!

I would have said almost certainly Skimmia. Leaves in bunches on the
ends of bare stems are characteristic. Leaves are about 1.5 - 2 inches
long.

http://www.tuinkrant.com/plantengids/macro1/12004.jpe

It has a tendency to look slightly sickly. I think it prefers a
non-alkaline soil. It doesn't grow very fast, but will eventually turn
into a shrub about 4ft across and 30 inches high. It has sweet smelling
white flowers in spring. If you have a female plant and a male plant
nearby, or if you have one of the varieties which have male/female
flowers, you also get large red berries in the autumn, which are not
liked by birds and which stay around well into the following year.

Definitely not Mexican Orange Blossom - leaves of that are in 3s.
--
Kay