Old 08-05-2006, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Starling Vandalism

Robin McInnes writes
We planted out a load of Zinnia Profusion (from T&M) on Saturday; by
this morning there was only one still left in. All the others had been
up-rooted by a starling that is nesting in one of our eave corners.

The bird isn't eating the plants, just uprooting them and leaving them
lying -roots exposed- on the border.

We also planted out various other bedding types, such as begonias, busy
lizzies etc, but the bird only seems interested in vandalising the
zinnias.

Most of the zinnias are now ruined and I suppose we'll just have to get
something else to replace them; there's really no other solution.

Perhaps I should be posting this query on a bird group, but I was
wondering whether starlings are known for uprooting zinnias, what is
their motive for doing so, and why should they single that particular
plant out for attention?

(And, if they are well known for such activity, can anyone tell me if
there are any other types of plant they vandalise, so I can avoid them
when choosing the replacements please?)

I haven't seen starlings doing this, only blackbirds - in my case it's
onion sets where the dead bit of onion leaf breaks the surface. I had
assumed it was mistaking it for a worm, but, thinking about it, it's
more likely to be looking for nesting material.

I've also had birds take young leafless bonsai out of their pots.
--
Kay