Old 09-05-2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ted Swirsky

Default Plant Trumpet Vine in container?

Not sure who posted the original question, but here is my 2 cents...

I am in South Jersey and know some people who have them. They WILL SPREAD!

I planted a few little twigs last summer and this spring, I see the plant
popping up
several feet from where I originally planted it. As I understand it, it
goes deep, travels
underground and pops up all over. MIGHT be contained if planted in a deep
bucket with the bottom
cut out to limit sideways travel, but this is one tough plant so I
wouldn't bet on it.

I'm risking it because I think they are pretty and where I put it is
surrounded by sidewalk
and street. If it makes it to the lawn (it will) it will just get mowed.

Good luck!

On Mon, 08 May 2006 21:29:16 -0400, CANNON-FODDER
wrote:

I have ordered 3 Indian Summer Trumpet
Vines to grow up the trellis and probably up the 50-60' oak tree behind
it.

I have since read that they can be very invasive and hard to control and
am getting a little worried if I ordered to many or if I should even
plant them in my zone7 GA area. Dappled shade to part sun?