Old 09-05-2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hal

Default Plant Trumpet Vine in container?

On Mon, 8 May 2006 09:07:16 -0400, wrote:

I read mixed reviews from several people. Some love them others hate them. I
wanted to plant for the privacy and hummingbirds. One lady said she planted
them in 5 gal plastic pots with the bottom cut out along with pruning and
pulling out new sprouts she had good results.

I'm not really familiar with the plant you have, however I have some
experience with passion flower, the kind that grows wild up the East
Coast, AKA maypop. (larvae food for Fritillary butterflies.) Well
named, because the main root runs about a foot under the ground and it
"may pop" up anywhere. I planted mine in half barrel containers,
that have bottoms and sides. I must confess the seed sprout
outside the pot where you don't want them, but I have butterflies in
large numbers every year and the container plants are well fed and
come back every year.

Go for it! You'll enjoy the hummers.

Regards,

Hal