Old 09-05-2006, 11:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
Roberta Bagshaw

Default Brunfelsia - neurotoxin

Hi Linda

A friend of mine, who is a vet, emailed me just 15 minutes ago, about a
plant commonly grown in gardens, called Brunfelsia. Here is what she wrote:

I read today in a veterinary publication that Brunfelsia australis
contains a potent neurotoxin in the leaves and flowers and is palatable to
dogs. The vet who wrote the article was seeing a lot of cases over East,
mainly because someone was handing
out lots of cuttings to people who stopped to admire his lovely bush!

My friend mentioned this to me, because she has a Brunfelsia in her garden -
which I gave her as a gift! - and she has two dogs. Brunfelsia is such a
pretty plant, and it seems to be very popular at the moment. Still.....
something to be aware of.

~Roberta~

"Linda H" wrote in message
Thank you again, Godwin. Thanks so much too for offering to give me more
tips when I have a plan. I don't quite have one yet

Next, (in a new thread) I'm going to ask you Wonderkids about a dog eating
certain plants.

You guys really are great with your info!

L.