Old 09-05-2006, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Default Snails galore

The Guy wrote:

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

Scot McCall wrote:

On Wed, 03 May 2006 14:48:51 -0230, cloud dreamer
wrote:

I just noticed that Lee Valley carries copper meshing 5 inches wide and
a hundred feet long for $30 CDN. Slugs and snails won't cross copper, so
if the area is manageable, you can surround it with the copper.

Does anyone know if copper strips or meshes still repel snails and slugs
once the copper becomes tarnished?...which won't be long after
installation.

From what I've read, it won't be as effective. Would you not be able to
get at least a season out of the mesh before it starts to tarnish? That
way, you need only clean it with regular tarnish removers every fall,
and reinstall in the Spring. Also, olive oil helps retard the tarnish,
so that would extend its life each season.

I've never used copper mesh myself. I've had great success with the
rough lumber and mulch. I'd be curious to hear of people's experiences
with copper.

..