Old 09-05-2006, 03:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Merle O'Broham

Default sugg. for dwarf hedge/bushes?

Hi all,

Zone 5 Chicago. I'm redoing my sis-in-law's entire front yard. Drought
killed off all the grass in the front last year. She wants a very
compact mini-hedge on both sides of the walk leading from the sidewalk
to the front steps. I'd say ~20 ft. or so in length. I'll be putting
sod in next week and would like to put in the mini-hedge/series of
dwarf bushes at that time. I'm thinking variegated Euonymus,
mini-barberry (looks nice changing colors). I've seen dwarf lilac, but
that may be too large. An evergreen perhaps, like a golden globe
arborvitae? I'd like to keep them relatively short, like 12". She's put
all faith in me on this! Suggestions, please?