Old 09-05-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Draven

Default How do I protect a hedge from the local kids?

wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a 6ft high hedge at the front of our house that the local
schoolkids and others seem to delight in throwing themselves and others
into, resulting in great holes in the thing. It's beginning to look
thoroughly miserable.

I've emailed the local headmaster but not yet had a response. No doubt
he'll be sympathetic but not sure he'll be able to do much to help. I'm
also slightly reluctant to become the bloke who grassed them up. I
don't want to become a target of something worse.

It looks like the best thing I can do is to spoil their fun in some
other way. Obviously I could plant something tougher and pricklier but
this will take too long. It's tempting to wrap barbed wire round it but
no doubt I'd end up getting sued.

Looks like the best thing might be some sturdy posts and a horizontal
railing or two to deter them, though logistically that won't be that
easy as the hedge juts out a bit.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Will

I totally sympathise with you.
Round my parts kids use the hedges as football goal nets. It's not much fun
for hedge owners.

I am currently, foolishly I may add, trying to grow a front hedge using box.

Years to grow and it will take just minutes for kids, with a football, to
wreck it.
I must be mad for trying.